|Date(s) & Time:||Wed, Aug 16 2017
9:00 AM (Carpool Departure: N/A *log in for location*)
|Registration Cut Off:
Mon, Aug 14 2017 8:00:00 AM
|Event Duration:||8 hours|
|Difficulty Rating:||D2: Moderate|
You must be logged in to get the Event Leader contact information.
Members Only, 18 & Older Only
Attendees are Pre-Screened - Trip Leader will review your background and may contact you before accepting you on the trip.
|Number Registered So Far:||
4 (To see who's signed up, log in to the Member Area)
THIS TRIP IS NOW FULL
Will practice low-angle alpine rappel skills
- The specifics of alpine rappel (compared to
rock-climbing). Low-angle and free-air. Single
vs. multipitch. Long pitches and roofs.
- Review of the essential equipment (daisy
chains, 2nd belay device, quick links, prusiks,
ropes, rappel gloves, two-way radios, hand
- Alpine knots (12)
- Fall factor and impact forces
- Why you need to avoid rappelling
- Ultimate backup
- Rappel components: anchor. SRENE
- Rappel components: rope
- Rappel components: rappeller
- Rappel components: method
- Taking / paying out rope with backup prusik
- Rappel voice commands
- Final check
- Retrieving rappel rope
- Stopping/resuming in midrappel
- Switching to climbing the rope
- Climbing the rope with two prusik slings,
hauling backpack, switching to rappel mode
Elements Of Advanced Rappel:
- Transferring backpack to/from rope
- Passing the knot
- Rappel reset (multipitch protocol)
- Avoiding closed systems: pre-rigged
Munter Mule and Clipping to a high-angle anchor
|Required Items to Bring:|
Basic set for alpine rock
- daisy chain
- two prusiks (chest+leg)
- ratchet (short) prusik
- recue pulley
- ascenders (tiblock or ropeman)
- 5 lockers
- belay (reverso) device
- anchor material (nylon cords,
- quick links (2-5)
- dynamic/static alpine rope(s)
- rappel gloves
|Recommended Items to Bring:|
Use our Event Checklists to make sure you have everything you need.
Rappel gloves, sunscreen, mosquito repellent.
|How to Get There:|
|Carpool to Event Distance (round trip):||100Km|
|Carpool Departure Time:||
Log in for location
Log in for directions
** Vancouver Transit Info
Approximate vehicle expense for this event is $25.00 (calculated at total Km * $0.25, effective Tuesday, February 20, 2018). This is based on the current provincial government rate for private vehicle use. Please pay your share of the cost to the carpool driver.
- We don't practice in bad weather. If
forecasted P.O.P. (weat
her.gc.ca) exceeds 30% the trip will be
automatically cancelled. This is beyond trip
organizer's control - short notice
cancellations are quite possible and do occur.
- This is not a course - you must have
minimum alpine experience and prior formal
- Be sure to check SPAM folder for important
messages regarding this event.
Must have climbed
at least one Alpine Select route.
IMPORTANT: You must
pass minimum screening requirements above.
The trip organizer will use your ACC profile to
check courses you have taken and peaks you have
climbed. You can also provide additional
information in this form (click here): Alpine
- We encourage all members to follow our Etiquette Guidelines at all times while participating in ACC VA events.
Please review our Etiquette Guidelines!
Note: If you don't show up we will be very hurt!
*Note: Very sorry, but members with history of bailing or
no-shows in the past 12 months can't attend this